Basketball WA will enact the heat policy for the upcoming weekend of the Belt Up BWA Country Champs. With forecasts expected to reach 35+ degrees in the Perth Metro area, measures will be put in place to ensure the health and safety of athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers and spectators.
BWA will be implementing the following measures:
- A recovery and hydration area will be set up for athletes and officials in the air-conditioned Ellis Room (upstairs)
- Half time breaks to be extended by a minimum of 1 minute on non-air conditioned courts
- Mandatory time-outs will be enforced by officials on non-air conditioned courts
- Water stations and ice will be made available on all courts
- A dedicated Hydration Officer will be present throughout the weekend, and will be walking around the stadium ensuring participants and visitors have access to cold water
- Court 1 & 2 will be air conditioned with 1000+ seats for spectators and participants to utilise during breaks
- Basketball WA may reduce game times
- Temperature gauges will be monitored throughout the weekend
- Officials, BWA staff and team participants are to encourage competing athletes to play within their fitness levels and stay hydrated.
- Should the court temperature reach 40 degrees, games will be paused and either abandoned or recommenced at the direction of the Competition Manager.
Teams fixtured to play this weekend who are not comfortable playing can contact their Association to withdraw their nomination by 12 pm Friday. Withdrawals made before this time will have withdrawal fees waived by Basketball WA.
Media Release – 2024 BWA Country Champs, Heat Policy Weekend 3